Happy Father's Day!

Good Evening 11 Followers! What a great weekend! Thank you to everyone who was a part of it. I had a bit of a kickoff on Friday - yoga class, sushi with Andi & then a few pints at the good old Ship & Anchor! Had so much fun with everyone there, and even stayed out a little late for a girl who was running her first 10.5km trail race on Saturday! Saturday - Jackie and I grabbed some coffees and headed to Canmore for our trail run. OMG. SO FUN. I mean, hard but FUN. WOW. You should do one! For real - check it out! In terms of challenge - the half marathon was the most mentally challenging thing I have done but in terms of comparing a road run like that to this trail race - I'd say physically in the same sort of caliber. At the time I was doing it, I was cussing Jackie for making me do 10.5km but at the end, I was happy to have done that distance. If it wasn't for another event in July that coincides with the next race... I'd be all over it. Then, Jackie and I met her parents at the Grizzly Paw for post race eats and then I rushed back to Calgary and headed to Red Deer. It was Happy Birthday Uncle Fred & Pam/Happy Father's Day event! We ate a ridiculous amount of food and then laid around in pain. It was great! I really enjoy my time there..... I made a little treat in honor of Uncle Fred's birthday but I'll get to that shortly. Today, had a good breakfast at the farm and then back to Calgary and had Father's Day BBQ at Bill & Natalie's. FRIG. Cool people. I am so blessed. For real. 

Ok, so I want to talk about my Uncle Fred for a minute. This guy is AMAZING. He's just turned an age in his 60's (which I won't share on here) and if you were to meet him, you wouldn't guess him a day over 50. I'm not kidding. And Uncle Fred, if Aunt Robin makes you read this - I'm not just pumping your tires! He is one of the most positive, and upbeat people I know. Yes, I'm sure he has bad days too, but I'm pretty sure his attitude is what has kept that youthful glow about him. He's generous, helpful, thoughtful, and aging ridiculously well. My Aunt is a very lucky woman and I'm a lucky niece. In honor of his birthday and his enjoyment of a cold beer on a hot day... I decided to whip up some cupcakes. I didn't actually try one myself, but I heard they turned out ok! They couldn't have been too bad because Uncle Fred had one for breakfast and tried to tell my Aunt they were a muffin to justify it! haha. :)


Corona Lime Cupcakes (find the original here
For the cupcakes
3/4 cups butter, at room temperature
1-3/4 cup  white sugar
2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lime zest
1 cup Corona beer, plus more for brushing on tops
1/4 cup milk
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
In one bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla.
Add the eggs, beating after each addition then add the vanilla and zest.
Combine milk and beer and alternatively add this mixture and the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture with the mixer on low speed, starting and ending with the flour.  
Fill the cupcake liners and bake for  approximately 18 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
When cupcakes are done, poke holes in the tops of the cupcakes with toothpicks and brush some beer on each while still warm. Let the cupcakes cool, then ice!

Icing - I didn't really use the original...
8 oz cream cheese (or one package), softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar (adjust to your preferred sweetness)
Lime zest (approximately 2 tsp)
Lime juice, approximately 1 tbsp)
Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar and cream cheese together. Add the lime zest & juice. Adjust the lime juice amounts to your taste as well as adjust the sugar to your preferred sweetness. Too much sugar takes away from the cream cheese taste!

EAT & ENJOY!! :) I'm off to Vegas tomorrow evening my friends! Jana and I are going to shop, drink & suntan! Don't miss me too much! xo


Finished Product!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Foodie Penpal

Weekend Update!

Black Bean Brownies.... At Last!