Never Not Broken, Burgers and More!

Wow. I've been on a roll lately! Writing lots which is great! I've found this whole exercise to be a bit therapeutic if you will and I'm actually really enjoying it! :)This kitchen blog has found it's way into a combo deal of kitchen stuff and Kyla related ramblings when I think I get snippets of profound wisdom to share or when a light bulb goes off upstairs (that's my head in case you're wondering what the H I'm referring to).


So I have a few more updates about why this week was cool!
1) I had a date with Stacy. FACK. Love that girl. We've been friends since we were 12. We met in Grade 8 Social Studies class. She thought I looked like I was crying all the time because my contact lenses were always bugging me and I was far too cool to wear my glasses. I thought she was short. Then we thought we should be friends. And we are. She's going to be a DR. Yeah, no big deal. One of my BFFs is going to be a motherf*$#ing DOCTOR. She's in her second year of vet school - life long dream she's wanted since I met her back in the crying baby days.... and guess what, she worked her ass off, and she's doing it! So proud of her. She deserves it. I am a fan! xo
2) I went to my first Crossfit class in about a year. It was, excuse my language....so F*$#ing awesome. Gawd dammit I love it. I hate it when I'm doing it but actually I love it. I'm sore today but not unreasonably sore. YAY ME. I'm going back. No arguing that sh*t.
3) Keely had her BABY! CONGRATULATIONS!!! A little boy.... 9 pounds 1 ounce. I'm sooooo excited to meet him! He made her work for his entrance. When I heard the news on Thursday - his name was TBD. WOOOO HOOOOO!
4) I got to go to the dog park with Faye on Friday. I met her puppy named Ranger who is so cute and I got to creep on other people's dogs. I want a dog. I don't have the lifestyle for one so I just have pet envy and go places and perv on other people's dogs. I sometimes scheme about dog-napping.
5) I had a date with Lisa. Man, she took me on a real date. She picked me up. She schmoozed with a present. Bought me dinner. Opened the wine and then.......we BAKED!!! Hellllls yeah. We baked Pecan Pie, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Maple Walnut/Pecan Tarts and Cupcakes... Pictures to follow. I know Lisa from my rugby playing days. As she pointed out to me last night, I've known her since before she had a license and NOW...(drum roll)...she's a NURSE!!! Congrats friend! I am also proud of that girl! She's got some wisdom I wish I had had at 23. xo
6) I had class today again - I like being a student. Maybe I should go back full time! I think about it sometimes but when you like to do things like go to Vegas with your Everything Friend and then travel to Peru for Christmas - school is sort of on the back burner. Plus really, I have it good where I work! I really do. 
7) I just made a really delicious dinner. I'll post it shortly.

OK, so onto my snippet of wisdom for the last couple of days. I've made some references to the challenges I've faced in the last year and a little bit. Losing my dad, executor duties, a break up, my sister moved away (MISS YOU), among other normal day to day things....it was a tough year. Things are certainly on the up and up, and yes sometimes I do feel like a poop... but life is ups and downs. I super appreciate the ups more than ever now. Like I went on and on about last week, sometimes I just get so EXCITED. Like I can't even handle it excited! Anyway, a while back - my BFF Andi sent me this link. I read it and was like... "Yeah, whatever Andi." Then, Stacy and I were talking on our date, and she mentioned it again. So, I read it again and I got it! I read it and was like, F yes. You should read it too! Shit, I love this part:
"So now is the time, this time of confusion and brokenness and fear and sadness, to get up on that fear, ride it down to the river, dip into the waves, and let yourself break. Become a prism.

All the places where you’ve shattered can now reflect light and colour where there was none. Now is the time to become something new, to choose a new whole." (From here)
 .
 For whatever reason, that statement is so beautiful and so powerful to me. I guess it parallels that idea about there being beauty in pain. I didn't understand it until sometime in middle of this winter. There is a certain beauty about pain and suffering because that is, where you find your inner strength. To know your own limits and to learn your strengths is a very beautiful thing.
I want to be the Goddess of Never Not Broken. Yeah.... that's right. NEVER. NOT. BROKEN. Always changing, always improving, always learning, always growing......AND BAM...That's it for tonight.


Now for tonight's creation!
I headed over to my girl crush's blog again. I was feeling burgers and I saw that she posted something about burgers earlier this week. I modified this recipe.

Mmmmmmmmmmm.......



Stuffed Burgers (find the original recipe here) - my recipe made about 6 Small Burgers
Approx 1 pound extra lean ground beef
1/4 cup almond flour
Green peppercorns, chopped up
15 sundried tomatos, diced
6 - 8 mushrooms, chopped 
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 - 3 cloves garlic, pressed
Fresh basil (didn't measure)
Salt
Pepper

Heat a pan and add some cooking oil. I used coconut oil. Cook your onions, garlic, sundried tomatos, and basil. Add some salt and pepper. Set it aside.


In another bowl, add your beef, almond flour and green peppercorns. Roll into 6 balls. 


Once you've rolled your beef balls (yeah, I said it), then make holes in them and add your sundried tomato mixture. I wasn't the best at this. But once you get the mixture in there, close the burger up and flatten it down. 


Heat your pan, put in some oil and cook them up! 5 - 6 minutes, cover them and they'll cooker better and faster. Upon eating mine, I realized I could have used pretty much more of everything - sundried tomatos, garlic and basil and peppercorns. Don't cheap out like I did. I was still very satisfied when I finished my burger.

I made some sweet potato wedges to go with my burger - sprinkled them with oil, curry and cayenne pepper. I felt like I was eating a fast food meal, and was probably much happier with it! YUM. 



Friday Night Date with Lisa!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Foodie Penpal

Weekend Update!

Black Bean Brownies.... At Last!